Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pinot Noir Smackdown! France vs America. The Victor!

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this past week's competition was so close, I almost feel guilty announcing a winner. I think more than any previous contest, this one truly boiled down to personal preference, old world vs new world style. Both wines were delicious with great character.


But a battle it was, and there can only be one victor.


Jigsaw Pinot Noir, Willamette Valley, Oregon 2009.
To be honest, I really thought this was going to win. Contrary to my usual tastes, I found all of that big fruit and spice to be really attractive. But just when I thought I made my decision, I changed my mind, and voted for..


THE WINNER:


Bourgogne Pinot Noir, Domaine Parent 2008
This was silky smooth, lighter bodied with more mineral notes and subtle fruit. Although I have a feeling, I could have been swayed once more, depending on my mood, or food!


Speaking of which, these two reds were paired with Saxelby's Cheeses: Frere Fumant, a slightly smoked hard sheep's milk cheese, and a lovely hard cow's milk cheese we've had before, the Ouray.


A great time was had by all. 


Battle of the Bubblies this Monday! Just in time for Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment